Friday 14 November 2014

Week 14 Essay: It's the End of the World (As We Know It)

This is the last essay I have to write for this class. The end of the semester, just about. What should I write about? I already spent a lot of time on the reading units, I feel like I have dived a bit too deeply into my personal life and writing history, and I have doted greatly on my favorite authors and works. In fact, I think I'm a little burned out on all of that. I have a friend of mine who is an author, and he has a book out that actually (sort of) pertains to the class. It's called The Revenge of Remus, and it takes the mythology of the beginnings of Rome (with Romulus and Remus, obviously, from the title) as well as every teenage girl's love for werewolves (just kidding, the book is actually dedicated to everyone who hates Twilight), and turns it into a adventurous horror story.

I realize I am shamelessly advertising for a friend of mine in this essay, but I really think it is important to support a local anything, and writers, in general. It's a shame that books are a dying form of entertainment and what books are still coming out are appealing to a market that puts books on an electronic device. I don't necessarily expect anyone to jump up and say, "I want a copy of your friend's book!", but I do hope every single person in this class looks to local artists, musicians, writers, and whatever else for a lot of their entertainment. I think that the reason it is difficult for writers and the like to make a decent living these days is because they don't get our financial and verbal support, and it's a real shame.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the remainder of their semester and has a great winter break. If any of you are actually interested, my friend's name is Micah Black, and I would be more than happy to give you a copy of his book, just on the promise that you will read it and the fact that you would have to meet with me somewhere on campus.

1 comment:

  1. Chase, this book sounds great, so I just grabbed a Kindle. I love ALL the books, digital, paper... and the stories painted on vases, carved in stone. We need all the stories! And since I am about 1500 miles from Norman and unable to come meet you in person, I am glad I could have a close encounter of the blog kind here and grab your friend's book via the magical electrons. Thanks for sharing that - and congrats to your friend!!! You can tell he made a book sale in North Carolina tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete