Wednesday 12 November 2014

Week 13 Storytelling: Death of Me

"Richard! Richard!! Where are you?"

I could hear them calling my name. It was faint and muffled, like the sound of the world above when you are under water. What had happened? I don't recall. It was dark and stuffy, and gradually warmer as I walked on, exploring the darkness. Who knows the vastness of where I had found myself. I could not see my hand in front of my face, and it was a sickening darkness. You know that feeling? Where the darkness hurts? That's what was going on. That's where I was...wherever that was.

"Where the Hell am I?"

"Exactly."

A voice from behind and it sent shivers down my spine, an icy chill despite the heat. I turned around and there was a man, standing tall and consumed by blue flame, though he did not cry out in pain. He extended his hand, and with much hesitation, I took it. He led me through the darkness, and even though his blue flame illuminated his aura, I still could not see anything around us. However, as we walked on, his flame grew brighter and the faint sounds of screaming grew louder.

"Where are we? What is this place?"

I would have stopped right then and there, if I had any willpower of my own. However, I kept walking with this demon, or angel, or chauffeur, or whatever he was. The surroundings became brighter with each step until we were in a room burning in eternal flame. It did not burn, but it definitely messed with my mind. In the center of everything was a man who wore sunglasses and a pin-striped suit. There was a briefcase at his side and, to be completely honest, he looked very much like a lawyer. He looked up at me as we walked in and stared into my soul. It felt so cold.

His grin was unsettling. "You already said it. You're in Hell."

I woke up.



Author's Note
I read Dante's Inferno for the week. I was not able to find just one little aspect of the story that I could work with, so I decided to do a sum of the entire poem. I also thought it would be funny if Satan was a lawyer. I don't know why. It just makes me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chase!

    I love Dante's Inferno! It's one of the probably two books I enjoyed reading in high school. I get what you mean by nit being able to chose just one part of it for storytelling. It's too drawn out and interconnected! You did a wonderful job summing this up though and doing a play on words was quite clever. I loved that the devil was a lawyer, that was funny! Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete