Tuesday 4 November 2014

Week 12 Reading Diary: English Fairy Tales

Welp, I chose this unit because the description had a bunch of stories that I recognized. I thought, "Okay, this will be an easy unit. I can kinda take a load off for a few days and focus on some of my other classes!" Nope. In truth, I only knew one story completely as it was told here. You know what story that was? The Three Little Pigs. I felt like such a kid. I mean, don't get me wrong - that has always been a great story - but what good does that do me now?

Now, as far as these stories go, they are all really good. Mouse and Mouser was a particularly enjoyable tale, but I really can't calculate any special reason why. I just liked it. Then again, I can probably say that for most of these stories. The Master and His Pupil was also an enjoyable story, though I feel as though I've read something similar before. I don't really know why.

For the second half, I was excited to read Mr. Fox, because I assumed it was Roald Dahl's The Fantastic Mr. Fox. These stories are not the same. If Dahl received inspiration for his story from here, that would make sense, but it is definitely its own fairy tale. It was a great read and everything, but I still felt a little disappointed when it wasn't quite the same story.

The rest of these stories are honestly hit-and-miss with me. I enjoyed The Laidly Worm of Spendleston Heugh and Johnny-Cake. However, there were a few that I just did not like. Like the very last story - Fairy Ointment? If that story isn't enough to turn you away, the actual story will take care of it for you. Anyway, all in all, it was a good unit, but not one of the best. However, this is just one man's opinion, and anyone else who might read this should actually take it into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment