Tuesday 30 September 2014

Week 7 Storybook: Hunting Wabbits

Elmer Fudd tiptoed quietly through the forest in his big hat and his hunting rifle. He was incredibly careful not to make a sound. Anytime he heard some noise, he would shh whoever made the noise and tell them to be vewy, vewy quiet as he was hunting wabbits. He was after one particular "wabbit", in fact, as he had been tricked by the rabbit before. The rabbit was named Bugs Bunny, and he was a very tricky rabbit and always made poor Elmer Fudd look like a fool. What had Elmer Fudd done to Bugs? He just wanted to feed his family some delicious rabbit wabbit.

Bugs was a family man, and he had quite a big one. He had several children and he loved each and every one of them. He would occasionally see Elmer Fudd come creeping near his rabbit hole in hopes of stealing a little bunny, but Bugs was quite protective of them. Every time Elmer was around, Bugs would find a way to trick him into some big blunder and Elmer would lay low for awhile. Quite frankly, Bugs was getting kind of tired of it. He was about to go outside for a quick view of the surrounding area - it had been some time since Elmer had last attempted to turn him and his family into dinner - when he heard someone yelling outside.

"Hewp!! Huwwy! Someone hewp me!!"

Bugs peeked out of his hole. It was Elmer Fudd.

"Hewp me, wabbit! Some hunters awe after me!!"

Bugs let him into the hole and brought him over to a chest. "Hop in here, Elmer!" So Elmer did as he was told. "Those hunters will never find you in here!" Bugs then ran over to the fireplace and placed a kettle of tea above it.

Elmer popped his head out of the chest. "What awe you doing, mistew wabbit?"

"I'm getting you a nice cup of tea. You must be thirsty after all that running!"

Elmer closed the chest. Bugs came over and poked some holes into the chest.

"What awe you doing now, mistew wabbit?"

"I'm poking holes in this so you an breathe, Elmer!"

Elmer was really starting to think that he had misjudged the rabbit. He was an alright guy. Maybe after this, they could become close friends! However, about that moment, he began to feel the scalding water. "YOWWWW!!!!" He screamed and he leapt out of the chest and clambered up the hole as fast as he could. He ran away, hoping that the hunters that had been chasing him might find him.

Bugs followed him up the hole and watched as he ran away screaming. He looked back and winked. Then he went back into his chair and began to take a nap. "Finally, some peace."



Author's Note
I took one of my favorite Brer Rabbit stories, The Awful Fate of Mr. Wolf, and I turned it into a Looney Tunes cartoon. The entire time I was reading the story, this is what I had in my mind. The connection I thought was almost seamless, and I hope everyone enjoys reading it and can see the connection just as easily as I can.

5 comments:

  1. I grew up watching Looney Tunes, and when I read your title I became very excited. I did not read the unit, but I am sure there was an obvious connection like you mentioned in your author’s note. At first I thought you were going to have Bugs play nice to Elmer Fudd, and it would end up tragic with him grabbing some of the baby bunnies, but when Bugs ends up tricking him it was classic and true to the original cartoons. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost may I commend your creativity I think you done a great job in retelling this story and making it so original. I love the idea of the looney toon character as it is something I’m sure we all grew up watching. I too was going to choose the same reading text this week but I wasn’t quite sure how to make it my own. I really enjoyed reading your story great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! I loved how you even told it using Elmer's voice "wabbit" which made it really fun to read. I like how you used another story but could find the similarities between that folktale and a modern cartoon. I love when we can draw connections between two unlikely things. Your writing style is fun and entertaining to read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such an entertaining story, Chase. I used to lay on the sofa with my favorite blanket and watch Bugs and Daffy all the time. Poor old Elmer never caught a break. I like how you switched the characters around and made it your own. Turning it into a favorite children's cartoon was a brilliant move. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey again Chase,
    I decided to do the bonus commenting this week so I figured I'd just comment on another story of yours. I like how you used Looney Tunes as the medium for your story telling for this, it definitely works very well. If someone didn't know any better they could have thought that this was actually from a Looney Tunes episode. Great job!

    ReplyDelete