Wednesday 3 September 2014

Week 3 Storytelling: Water, Water Everywhere

Need a boat built? I Noah guy. He is this crazy old Jewish guy who keeps telling everyone that the sky is falling. He's been saying this for a couple hundred years and the sky has yet to fall. Sounds like Chicken Little, right? Either way, he's been diligent at it ever since his God told him what to do. That's a long time to be building a boat. What's he building it for, you ask? Let me back up a little bit.

First of all, have you ever heard of rain? I haven't, and it sounds ridiculous. The sky turning into water and falling on us? Even more farfetched. Please give me something realistic for the end of the world, like a bunch of meteors wiping out all the dinosaurs or a massive stampede of unicorns. This rain and flood business is too far out there, and so is Noah.

Anyway, he's been proclaiming we're all gonna die and that he's been chosen by this God of his to repopulate the earth. Someone's got an ego. Anyway, for years he's been at it! He's getting kind of old, too. I mean, not as old as his grandfather, Methuselah, but still. He's no Spring Chicken Little, if you know what I mean. Regardless, he's pretty determined. Oh! I didn't even mention the best part! He plans to take two of every animal, and stick them on this boat so they can repopulate the earth, too! How weird is that? Also, what about some of those animals. If the lions don't eat the sheep, I'll be very surprised!

Plop! What's this? Something cold and wet just hit my head! Plop! What is going on here? This isn't happening! I have to get out of here! Head for high ground! Plop! Plop! Plop! This isn't gonna end well. Ooh...the sky looks like a waterfall...



Wait. Crap.

Author's Note:
I love the story of Noah. I think it is a great tale and does well as a sort of "This is so ridiculous but explains so much" kind of story. I really wanted to look at Noah's scoffers - see why they scoff and see what happens to them when Noah is proven right. It was a very fun little writing.

The Flood

2 comments:

  1. I love the classic story of Noah's Ark from the Bible! I greatly enjoyed reading your version, I had never thought about what all the non-believers would have thought of Noah's task. But, it seems like your version would be pretty accurate for what their reactions would be like. I thought your writing style made the story fun and entertaining to read! I also like your picture choice for your story represented it well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase, this was a really great retelling of Noah!! I love how you've made the doubting, scoffing onlooker the storyteller, so we get to hear every little snide comment he has about Noah, his God, the prophecy, and what an old fart Noah is!! I found myself giggling while reading your story. I mean, of course, everyone has heard of Noah's Arc and the great flood and the two of each animal, but I don't think I've ever read it told from an onlooker's perspective. And in all honesty, if we had been in that time seeing those events, would we have behaved in much the same way? I think I would probably be a little bit like your storyteller, scoffing and thinking that Noah was out there, like Pluto, but another part of me thinks I would be contemplating whether or not he spoke the truth and how that would not bode well for me or my family.

    Excellent storytelling, Chase. I liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete