Tuesday 16 September 2014

Week 5 Reading Diary: The Voyages of Sindbad

This week, it is time to journey the seven seas...with seven journeys...on seven seas...yes. Sindbad's travels have always been really cool. Plus, as the introduction to the series of stories suggests, I have always thought there was a correlation between Sindbad and Odysseus. Both characters have an arrogant nature about them and are fond of sailing to seek out adventures.

My favorite story regarding Sindbad, so far at least, is his third voyage. This is the island he visits where he is first dealing with the giant bird known as a "roc". However, the roc isn't even the least of his worries, as this island is full of tons of large creatures that make for an interesting adventure. Of course, he eventually comes upon some giants that are not unlike the Cyclops in The Odyssey...I'm just saying. Anyway, this is probably my favorite of the voyages up to this point.

The last voyage is also pretty entertaining. I love how every single voyage starts with Sindbad saying he's never going to travel the seas again, but...and then he's off on another high-seas adventure. This last one starts a little differently to me, it seems. He goes on this trip as a favor for the friend he made in the last voyage.

The best part of this story? The elephants. I love me some elephants. These tales are so exotic and fun that I can't help but love them. If anyone actually reads this diary, please take the time to read these stories. They are absolutely fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment