Wednesday 20 August 2014

Week 1: Decisions with the UN-Textbook

This was a tough one for me. I mean, there are so many options and almost all of them seemed fantastic! However, since I am currently to keep it to four or five, I have decided to remove from my list any myth or folklore that I have previously studied thoroughly, such as the Bible, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Alice in Wonderland, Arabian Nights, and Beowulf. However, some of these things I decided just warrented more exploration, so they are included:

Celtic Tales - Good Lord, I'm a sucker for a good Celtic story. Call it a heritage thing, call it weird, whatever. I just love this kind of stuff and I actually know a lot less than I would like to. I shall fix that.

Ancient Egypt - Egypt mythology is a good blend of intelligence and downright creepy. An entire unit on it? Yes, please. Minimal knowledge in this area, as well, especially with the names. Isis? Anubis? Say what?

Voyages of Sinbad - This guy was super cool. I feel like he was the Jason of Eastern myth. I'm not talking about the comedian, either, though that guy has some coolness to him, as well.

Japanese Mythology - I am very excited for this. I love Japanese myth and the heavy sense of honour and duty that the Japanese tend to focus on. Plus, if there are samurais involved, I can watch Kurosawa films just because.

Apache Stories - I'm only 1/16th Native American, but it's not Cherokee and I feel that has merit to it. This will be really cool and exciting stuff, but I guess I can say that about everything on and off my list.

As you can see, I tried to take myths from all over. I didn't want to focus too much on one particular area. I can't wait to learn about all of this stuff this semester.

-Chase Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment