Wednesday 27 August 2014

Storytelling for Week 2: Lion Hearts

Once upon a time, there was a lion who lived in a wooded area behind a decent-sized village. He lived right outside the village because that's where lions lived at this time. Greece was the hotspot - kind of touristy and kitsch, but a good place to live nonetheless. Eventually, he would migrate to Africa - where all lions would eventually live - and bunk with his cousin, Ted, and all his wives, but that would come later.



The lion was resting in a forest, when he noticed a woman sitting by some shapely rocks. Humans and their traditions. They put so much effort into those rocks. Don't they know that, when they die, their bodies become the grass? They never really grasped the circle of life. Anyway, back to the girl. She had taken off some sort of material from her head and placed it right next to her.

She was very interesting to look- Ooh! A cow! He loved the taste of cow. They were always so tender. He couldn't resist. The lion chased after the cow, claws unleashed, teeth bared, and was soon tasting a mix of hair, blood, and delicious steak. He was going all in with this. He was rather hungry the more he thought about it and tore into the bovine.

Now, after he had finished his midnight snack, he decided he wanted to go see what that girl was up to. He emerged from the forest and went to go make a friend, but she screamed and ran into a cave.

That was weird.

The lion went back into the forest, but was caught by surprise when a man ran into the forest and stood by a tree. He began to stab himself, which the lion thought a very odd and slightly sadistic ritual. When he stopped breathing, the lion was much more confused than ever before.

Soon, the woman came from the cave she was hiding in and walked over to where the man was. She seemed to get very upset, to the point of stabbing herself with the same metal stick. The lion was honestly getting a little freaked out, but he would not allow others to think him cowardly, so he began to walk over to them.

Looking over the situation, the lion simply shrugged his shoulders. "Teenagers", he thought.

Author's Note:
I took this from Pyramus and Thisbe, the part of Ovid's Metamorphoses. I chose this story because it was basically Romeo and Juliet, and I wanted there to be a character who didn't understand the tragedy or greatness of the story, because I don't understand it. The lion was the perfect outlet.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. Chase, I love your version of the story. I also read this unit for my reading, but I like your retelling so much better because I also dislike the story of Romeo and Juliet. It never made much sense to me. Especially considering the whole story takes place over only 3 days. I thought your lion was hilarious. Especially his final "teenagers" thought. I actually laughed out loud at that part. I also loved his skepticism over the whole situation, because I feel the same way about that story, and it really made sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was very creative! When you change the characters from Romeo and Juliet and put it in the perspective from the Lion, it truly makes the entire plot seem ridiculous. I think it is hilarious how you made the lion say "Teenagers". How were you able to come up with this? I would love some tips on how to change my stories and make mine more creative!
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a really good job of creating a very unique story but also keeping it close to what the original was. Romeo and Juliet was such a classic story that everyone knows so well so retelling it in this way was fun to read and notice the connections! I didn’t read the authors note till the end so I was initially a little shocked about the ending, overall great job!

    ReplyDelete