Friday 24 October 2014

Week 11 Reading Diary: Robin Hood

...
...This is not the Robin Hood I've heard of. He just killed 15 people because they told him he couldn't shoot a bow well. However, it tends to get a little better as time goes on. His meeting with Little John is about what I expected and is in fact very similar to their meeting in a certain Mel Brooks movie I adore. So, that kind of makes up for things concerning that introduction. Robin Hood is always quite clever and that makes the songs more enjoyable. Plus, it should be noted that the songs being kept in the original Olde English is very fun to try and read. I also went ahead and listened to a few of the recordings, just to say I did, and it was most definitely worth it. Also, there are quite a few "derry"s and "down"s throughout the songs, which makes it quite interesting, incredibly strange, and honestly, a little fun. If you ask me, though, I love these stories so far, but I prefer the easy-going, rob from the rich and give to the poor, kind of Robin Hood. He's a cool dude. This guy, well, he's got his moments, but he's different.

What's really surprising is how there became such an iconic hero as the Hollywood Robin Hood and what I'm assuming was in later English myth than from is in these ballads. What did it take for them to change his character so? I mean, while reading, I can get a glimpse of the legend that has been made into countless movies and storybooks and fantasies, but this Robin Hood is kind of a jerk. Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly enjoying these ballads and tales. I think what I like about them so much is how they are singable. Who doesn't love a good song? Seriously, if Ariana Grande recorded a song with these Robin Hood lyrics, I might actually listen to Ariana Grande. I might still refrain if Nicki Minaj did them, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment