Monday 20 October 2014

Week 10 Reading Diary: Apache Stories

There's that Raven again! What is it with Native Americans and the importance of a Raven? I mean, I think Ravens are a cool bird and everything, but it is their essence of a god-like figure. That's just so strange to me. Anyway, I think the connection I see between these stories and the Alaska stories from last week is really cool, and I'm really enjoying it so far. However, this is not the main reason I decided to take on the Apache Stories. I originally decided I wanted to read them when I read in the description that there was a Coyote the Trickster involved. That has to be a lot of fun to read about, but I wouldn't know because I'm currently stuck with another Raven thing.

Naiyenesgani is an interesting character. He is a strange hero that I didn't expect to come from a Native American mythology because I thought those were more focused on the animals and nature and things like that. I mean, the guy is cool and everything - just not what I expected to read about. Regardless, I am enjoying these stories so far. I don't think this necessarily beats out my love for the Alaskan mythologies, but it is definitely a fun read.

Now, in the second half we get to the good stuff. Coyote the Trickster is at it. Why do I love this character so much, you may ask. Simply put, he's freaking cool. Specifically, the story of "Coyote Tries to Make His Children Spotted". It's incredibly tragic and the Coyote is the one who gets tricked in the story. I also think it makes an interesting case on deforistation. I may have to write my story or essay around this one. It's such a fantastic little tale and I really, really enjoy it. If anyone has a chance to read this one, they would be doing themselves quite a favor.

Now, that I finally got into the goodies that are the Coyote stories, I think I might be loving these stories more than the Alaska ones. Now, don't get me wrong. I think the Alaska stories are way cool and I still can't get over the mythology surrounding death, but these stories are amazing. With both mythologies, there is a deep love of animals and nature, which for a Transcendetalist like myself, is absolutely wonderful to read and enjoy. Anyway, I would definitely recommend these readings to anyone and everyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment